In this first part of a two part video tutorial, I cover the procedures for recording your software simulation. Make sure you watch the second part to see how I edit my recordings. Prior to starting your recording, it’s important to take certain preparation steps to make sure you are truly ready to record.
- Script out your steps – Practise your steps so you know exactly what you’re going to record.
- Run Captivate as an administrator – I generally run Captivate as an administrator anyway but this is one of those functions that really demands it.
- Run the application to be captured from your primary display – When I’ve tried to record applications on my second monitor, Captivate fails to capture all the screen shots and mouse movements. This is a known bug with Captivate.
- Know your keyboard shortcuts – While I don’t use all the shortcuts, it’s important to know where on your keyboard you need to press to activate certain functions.
- Reset your defaults – In case you have changed your settings make sure that everything is setup to record the right kind of recording for your own situation.
In this second part of a two part video tutorial, I cover the procedures for editing your recordings and preparing them for your learners. Make sure you watch part one to find out how you get to where this video tutorial begins.