In this video tutorial, I show you a tool that Adobe Captivate users already have that can convert older eLearning courses to HTML5, even when you don’t have the source files.
Thanks to Cathy Moore for permission to use her and Kinection’s elearning course designed and developed for the US Army. Read her blog post to learn about the activity and how she created this complex branching scenario. 🌍 https://blog.cathy-moore.com/2010/05/elearning-example-branching-scenario/
Can you share the direct link here rather than publish to public or keep private? I’d like to look at the instructions. My company uses software in many version over the last 20 years and the workflow may work for our purposes.
Same problem as the others – the original author left the company and hid all the source files. All I have are zipped scorm 1.2’s.
I don’t like to take down YouTube videos because I end up losing the view counts for those videos. I will sometimes make a video unlisted so I can retain the view counts for my YouTube channel. This one is a special case in that not only is the tutorial obsolete but the functionality I’m demonstrating does not even function due to the SWF player being disabled. I don’t want to suggest that people can perform these procedures even though they now cannot.
Thanks for sharing this Paul. It’s a great workaround for converting SWF to HTML5. The only thing you loose is the ability to change images or edit the original text. But in a pinch this is a great way to convert SWF when you do not have the original CPTX files.
The ideal would be to have the original file, but there are couple of considerations.
- There is zero time left to get your content into HTML5. Every day you are still on Flash player content is a day where people might not even have access to the course today.
- It’s amazing how many organizations have a poor document management system. My former employer reached out to me years after I had left the organization looking for Captivate source files. When I left the organization I made sure that all the material was on the shared drive and in the proper place. I can’t speak to what happened to it after I left but they were lucky I had made backups of that those files. If I had not kept them, and I was under no obligation to do that, they would have to use such a solution.
Agreed! I am finding a lot of “published” SWF files in folders, well documented with years and when published to the LMS, but no source cptx files! No idea where my predecessor kept the source files, so this is a very helpful technique to convert very quickly. Thanks again Paul!
You must be logged in to post a comment.